There are currently no outages to report.
What to do when the power goes out
Check your meter. If you see a red light, the power is available up to this point. You may need to reset your breakers or contact an electrician.
Call the cooperative. If you don't see a red light, call the cooperative at (641) 628-1040 or (800) 619-1040 to report the outage. Please do not assume that others have reported an outage for you.
Check on neighbors and friends. Some people rely on electricity to power medical equipment.
Tune in. Pella Cooperative Electric will contact local radio stations, including FM 92.1 KNIA/KRLS, to provide updates.
Log on. Watch Pella Cooperative Electric's Facebook page for the latest outage updates.
Remember safety. Electrical hazards may be prevalent, especially during outages caused by nature. Review the safety tips below and inform your family.
Outage Safety - How to stay safe during an outage.
Generator Safety - If you are going to run a backup generator, follow these instructions to keep yourself and utility workers safe.
Educate yourself. Learn how power is restored to the to the greatest number of people in the shortest time possible. Outage Restoration Process
For some who rely on life support or other essential medical equipment, a power outage can present a life threatening situation. If you, or someone you know, relies on electricity to power life sustaining equipment, please take the following steps before an outage:
- Alert the cooperative to let us know you have a special health need before an outage occurs. We will put a note on your account and priority will be given, when possible, to restore power to your home first during an outage.
- Invest in power supply backup equipment. This could be a generator, or battery backup for the medical equipment. Have a qualified technician install this equipment.
Notify family, friends, and neighbors. That way, when the power goes out, they know to come to your assistance and take you to a location that has power.
Though not very common, widespread outages can occur leaving many people without power for days. As information becomes available during these situations, it will be posted on this website as well as outages.iowarec.org. Information will also be relayed to local radio stations, including FM 92.1 KNIA/KRLS. Below is important information to remember during widespread and extended power outages:
- Outage Preparation - Be prepared before an outage occurs.
- How Power Is Restored - See the steps the cooperative follows to return power to as many people as possible, as quickly as possible.
- Outages Across the State - See the progress of Iowa's electric cooperatives as they work to restore power to members.
Adobe® Reader is required to view some files. For a free download, visit www.adobe.com.