Read the latest advocacy update newsletter
Pella Cooperative Electric is very involved with legislative efforts -- this is another way we're looking out for you. Time is spent advocating for safe, affordable, reliable electricity delivered in an environmentally responsible manner. Policymakers are asked:
- How will we supply the power we need to grow the economy?
- Will we have the technology to supply adequate electricity in a carbon-constrained world?
- Will we meet national climate change goals while keeping electricity affordable?
Why it matters:
The biggest influence on our lawmakers is the concerns expressed by their own voters. You play an important role in this process. If we don’t tell them about our issues and concerns – they won’t know we care.
Pella Cooperative Electric's future will be directly related to your active participation in the political process. There is a great deal of power behind grassroots activities and how they can influence the outcome of legislation, political and community decisions. We are involved to get the best outcome for Iowa’s rural electric cooperatives (RECs) and YOU, our members.
How you can help:
Sign up to receive advocacy updates via email. Be armed with the facts that matter to Iowans, facts about issues that could affect the future prices you may be paying for electricity. If you change your mind, rest assured, you can unsubscribe by notifying us.
Iowa's 85th legislative session adjourned on May 24, 2013. You can help by delivering messages to your legislators during the next session. Locate your legislators (under "who is my legislator" at the bottom of this page) and contact them by email, mail, or by phone. You have the biggest influence on lawmakers since you are voting citizens. You can make a difference! And we need your help!
Urge them to support (or oppose) legislation:
We're looking out for you! Here's how:
Pella Cooperative Electric participates in several legislative events throughout the year. It aligns with one of our governing principles (#5): Education, Training, and Information. Cooperatives provide education and training for their members, elected representatives, managers, and employees so they can contribute effectively to the development of their cooperative.
- REC Day on the Hill – held annually in March. Rural electric cooperatives from around the state meet in Des Moines at the Iowa Capitol and deliver messages to our legislators.
- Legislative Conference – held annually in May. Rural electric cooperatives from around the nation meet in Washington D.C. and deliver messages to our federal legislators.
- Fall Legislative Fly-in – held annually in September. Rural electric cooperatives from around the state fly to Washington D.C. and deliver messages to our legislators.
- Welcome Back Reception – held annually in January. Rural electric cooperatives from around the state hold a reception that welcomes our legislators back to session. We also discuss items that we would like to address during the upcoming session.
The messages delivered to our legislators are in the best interest of our membership. We ask for support (or opposition) of bills that will keep rural electricity affordable, safe and reliable. To view photos of our participation in these events, please visit our Facebook page.
|REC Day on the Hill at the Iowa Capitol
Speaking with Sen. Paul McKinley
|Legislative Conference in Washington, D.C.
Meeting with Sen. Chuck Grassley
Who Is My Legislator?
LOCATE your representative by searching your home address or by the map below.
LOCATE your senator by searching your home address or by the map below.
Adobe® Reader is required to view some files. For a free download, visit www.adobe.com.